- "You should be terrified. But instead, you're being played by that charlatan, Dick Grayson, who gives costumes to foolish kids, making them believe that they're heroes. Leading you, like lambs to the slaughter. But not to worry, soon you'll learn. For death leads to purification."
- —Deathstroke to Robin[src]
Major Slade J. Wilson, (died 2019) also known as Deathstroke, is a main character and antagonist in the Titans TV series. He was a deadly assassin who knew the original Titans. He was the father of Rose Wilson and Jericho. He served as the main antagonists in Season 2.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Power and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the scenes
- 9 References
Military test subject
Slade married a woman named Adeline and they had a son together called Jericho. While still married to Adeline he had a one night stand in a Kansas City hotel with a woman named Mei, this resulted in a daughter, Rose. Around 2014, Jericho and Adeline were attacked and held hostage by enemies of Slade. Although Slade was able to kill his opponents, Jericho's throat was slashed. He made a successful recovery but lost his voice as a result. Adeline took Jericho and left Slade, building a new life for them away from him.
Conflict with the Titans
Sometime later, Slade was tasked with killing Jillian. However, he accidentally hit and killed Garth, becoming enemies with the Titans. Soon after, Slade accidentally killed Jericho when he was about to murder Robin.
The following year, Slade took in his estranged daughter Rose. Although initially dismissive of his daughter, Slade had a change of heart and invited Rose to live with him. He gifted her a suit similar to his own Deathstroke uniform and trained her in combat. He eventually told her about her half-brother Jericho and how he was preparing her to help him takedown the people he saw as responsible for his death the Titans. He tasked her with going undercover and infiltrate the group under the pretence that he was hunting her, even making Rose sacrifice her left eye for the charade.
The new Titans
By 2019, Slade came to reside in a cabin in the middle of a forest. He later approached a store to buy tea and saw Jason Todd on the news saying that the Titans had returned. Leaving there, he went to his old mansion in San Francisco where he was received by his assistant, Wintergreen. They entered a secure room where several weapons and an advanced suit were located.
Slade went to San Quentin State Prison with Rose to break Arthur Light out, before taking him back to his mansion. Then he prepared Rose to infiltrate the Titans by gouging her left eye out and making it appear as if he was trying to kill her so the Titans would protect her. He carefully planned their next move, waiting to learn about the newly-formed Titans. After Dr. Light was caught by Robin siphoning power in a San Francisco train tunnel, Deathstroke provided backup, subduing and kidnapping Robin from the scene.
He and Arthur Light took Robin to a warehouse they were using as a temporary hideout. When Robin knocked out Light, he attempted to escape. Though Slade stopped him at sword point. Later, Robin was blinded and tied to a chair with headphones on while Slade and Light were watching the Titans investigate the sewers through a hidden camera. When it's revealed Robin has a tracker in him, Slade is unfazed. After Dick Grayson discovers the hidden camera. Light panics, while Slade actually says this development is good. Light accuses Slade of losing focus ever since Rose joined the Titans, even going as far as to compare him to the team. Light leaves deal with the Titans. Slade scans Robin and finds the tracker, cutting it out of him. He then shoots Arthur Light in his car, tying him to a support beam and place's Robin's tracker in his bullet wound.
When the Titans find Light dead, Slade calls them on a burner phone he put on Light, while relentlessly beating on Jason. Slade tells them that if they want Jason back, they must hand over Rose or he will kill Jason and get her back himself. While Slade is sharpening his sword, Jason tells him that he is not afraid and his friends will come for, but Slade rebukes that statement by saying he should be afraid and that his death will hurt the Titans even more, including Dick Grayson. At a hotel, Slade finds that Dick Grayson had decided to give himself up to him so that Rose and his team could be spared. Slade then reveals to Dick that Jason is tied up to a scaffold rigged with explosives.
Before Slade can activate the explosives, Starfire intervenes and blasts him away. Dick and Starfire then proceed to fight Slade but Slade quickly overpowers them with his skills, his powers, and his weapons. As Starfire and Dick are defeated, Deathstroke activates the explosives and sends Jason falling from the hotel as Dick watches in horror, however, an unknown person named Conner catches Jason from falling to his death.After Jason was saved, Deathstroke left.
When Dick interrogated and knocked out Wintergreen, Slade called Wintergreen's cell phone knowing Dick would answer it. Slade then told Dick to go to 123 Lake land saying that he may remember it. When Dick arrived at the location, he sees photos of his friends revealing that Slade left all those messages for the other Titans to find, while in the Tower. He left a bottle of bourbon for Hank, a bottle of orange soda for Donna, a photo of Ellis for Dawn, a record that Jericho owned for Jason and Rose, and crosses on the wall and the mirror for Rachel.
After the Titans broke up, a guilt-ridden Dick went to the house of Jericho's mother Adeline. When he confessed his part in her son's death, she refused to forgive him and directed him to the other room where Slade was waiting for him. Slade commented that he won their war by driving the Titans against Dick. Believing Dick still had not accepted his guilt, he then sentenced Dick to live alone, forever without his Titans family. He stated that there was no forgiveness for Dick and threatened that if he ever reunited the Titans, even for a weekend, he would kill every last one of them.
A few days later, while enjoying a drink on a couch, he receives a call from Rose saying that she is out of his plan for the Titans. Slade calmly asks her, "Is that so". She goes on to claim that there is nothing that he can do to stop her. After she hangs up, Slade proceeds to crush the glass cup in his hand. A day later, Slade had called Rose after she told Jason Todd everything and said that the Titans are getting back together and he needs her back in San Francisco.
Inside his mind, Jericho still trying to break out of Slade's head, fails again. Slade reminds him that it's pointless and that jumped into him thinking that Slade would save him, but didn't. Slade then tells Jericho that the Titans are getting back together and Dick ignored his warning, saying that it's on him, but Jericho says that he's the one who joined them and forgave them when they used him. Slade then tells Jericho that once he hunts down the Titans, they can finally move on and be a father and son again, but Jericho refuses to accept that as he sees Slade only as a monster and he will get out and stop him. Meanwhile, outside Slade's head, Slade is struggling to keep Jericho in as he tries to kill him by stepping out into traffic but fails as Slade moves quickly.
After which, Slade and Wintergreen both return to San Francisco and talked about how the Titans are coming back with Wintergreen opening the back of a truck showing him weapons, stating that they will be ready to greet them.
After suiting up and arming himself, Slade tracked down the Titans. He intercepted them while they were driving in a van, managing to destroy the engine, causing the vehicle to stop. Slade then opened fire on them with his assault rifle, though the van managed to protect them. However, one of the shots managed to wound Koriand'r. Suddenly, Dick Grayson appeared on the van, now suited up as Nightwing. Deathstroke aimed his assault rifle, but Nightwing disarmed him of it. Slade then drew his handgun, though was disarmed again. He then drew his sword and fought Nightwing, all the while, Dick tried to reach Jericho. While Nightwing was able to hold his own much better than before, even using his escrima sticks, Deathstroke revealed his sword could split into two swords, with Nightwing revealing his escrima sticks electrified function. They continued the fight, with Deathstroke being disarmed of one of his swords, though he managed to gain the upper hand and knocked down Nightwing. Before Deathstroke could strike Nightwing again, Rose interrupted, dressed in her Ravager outfit. Deathstroke, assuming Rose changed her mind, told Dick she was a mole the whole time. However, Rose proclaims that the Titans are her family, joining Nightwing's side and drawing her swords. Deathstroke fought both Nightwing and Rose at the same time, maintaining the upper hand, even disarming Nightwing of one of his electrified escrima sticks, using it against him. However, before he could land a killing blow against Nightwing, Rose distracted him, giving Nightwing the opportunity to use his other electrified escrima stick to stun him and allowing Rose to stab him with her sword. With Slade wounded, Jericho was able to transfer his conciseness into Rose, as Slade falls to the ground, seemingly dead.
- "You depend on others for your strength. I, depend on no one."
- —Slade Wilson to Dick Grayson
Slade is strategic, careful, and more of an individual when working a job. Slade also doesn't have much of a sense of humor and usually prefers to be very quiet, though he does tend to make snarky remarks to people. Slade also has an intense dislike for Dick Grayson for unknown reasons. Slade also dislikes people who insult his family or his plans; like when Arthur Light criticized him for his patience with killing Titans, which then got Light killed. It is revealed that Slade may have a soft spot for his family as he appears to check up on them sometimes and when he was willing to defend his daughter by killing Light. It was revealed that Slade had been in fact working with Rose to an extent in his war with the Titans, showing he truly cares for his children. When Rose called him, she says she now quits in Deathstroke's war against the Titans. Slade was visibly upset that he pushed Rose away as he shattered a glass cup in his bare hand.
He is also quite fearless, not even flinching at the sight of having to fight Dick Grayson, an excellent fighter with years of experience, and Starfire, an alien with superior strength and fire powers.
While carrying out his job as a mercenary, he is shown to be very professional, eliminating his targets with extreme efficiency. Slade doesn't seem to hesitate or feel any remorse after killing or torturing his targets.
Power and Abilities
- "Select soldiers who underwent a series of experimental bio-enhancements." Huh. Out of the 35 trial subjects, the only one to survive was Slade Wilson."
- —Gar Logan[src]
- Artificially Enhanced Physiology: A result of undergoing the trials a super-soldier program, Slade developed a number of physiological enhancements.
- Enhanced Intelligence: Slade possessed enhanced brain functions as he can process information at a faster rate and quickly adapt to his situation. This was seen during his fight with Dick Grayson and Kory Anders, where he changed his tactics to suit the fighter and the circumstances. He was also able to discern that his son was a meta-human.
- Enhanced Strength: Slade possessed enhanced strength. This allowed him to break free from ropes around his hands, easily throw around fully grown adults with just one hand, and kick Dick Grayson through two wooden church pews. He was able to match his strength with the Tamaranean, Kory Anders. Slade's physical strength proved powerful enough to overcome a half-Amazon like Donna Troy, and allowed him to effortlessly crush a glass cup in his hand.
- Enhanced Durability: Slade's body was far more resilient to trauma than a normal human. His impressive resilience allowed him to endure blows from Donna Troy and Kory Anders, individuals who match his physical strength, without sustaining any lasting or incapacitating injuries.
- Enhanced Agility: Slade's agility was enhanced beyond the capabilities of any human. This was evidenced during his fight Donna Troy; when he was thrown into the air by the latter, he was able to twist in mid air to successfully execute a landing on his feet.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Slade possessed enhanced reflexes. He was able to fight multiple combatants at once, intercepted Donna Troy's lasso around his forearm, and was able to dodge a shuriken thrown at him by Lillian which cut his bullet in half while in midair.
- Enhanced Senses: Slade's senses were enhanced to superhuman levels. This was shown when he could hear Dick Grayson's heartbeat and breathing in the church, despite the latter being hidden from plain sight.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: According to his data, it was possible that Slade could recover faster than a normal human. However, this healing factor did not allow him to fully recuperate from the damage to his eye, or the injuries that resulted in his death.
- "We barely survived his last attack."
- —Donna Troy to the Titans
- Master combatant: Slade was a deadly and experienced hand to hand fighter. He personally trained his daughter, Rose Wilson, to fight. He was easily able to defeat and overpower Donna Troy and would've killed her if he wanted to. He fought and almost killed Dick Grayson as Robin during their first fight. He was able to easily defeat Jason Todd, a skilled fighter in his own right. He was able to fight Dick Grayson and Kory Anders at the same time, two highly skilled combatants in their own regard. During his third fight with Dick Grayson as Nightwing, his opponent had improved his skills and even managed to push him back, but Slade eventually gained upper hand. When Rose joined Nightwing, Slade was able to fight both of them at the same time. However, his daughter distracted him, which led to him getting stunned by Nightwing and then ultimately got stabbed by Rose. Slade's overall fighting style seemed to be comprised of Boxing, Karate, Taekwondo, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Judo, Jujitsu, Brazilian-Jujitsu, Kali in addition to several Ninjutsu disciplines, including Taijutsu, Kenjutsu, Bōjutsu, Sojutsu, Tantojutsu, Shurikenjutsu, Kayakujutsu, Shinobi-iri, and Intonjutsu.
- Master swordsman: Slade was an experienced and lethal swordsman. He trained his own daughter, Rose He was able to slaughter multiple security guards when he broke Arthur Light out of prison. He was able to fight Dick Grayson who used a metal bar as an improvised bo-staff, even managing to wound and disarm him. He was able to fight Donna Troy, who used her lasso to fight back, but he was eventually disarmed. He was able to fight Grayson as Nightwing, using his sword's split function to fight with dual blades, though he was disarmed of one and yet was able to overpower him.
- Staff mastery: Slade was experienced with using a bō staff in combat. This is seen during his first fight with Dick Grayson, a highly trained bō staff wielder in his own right. Where he managed to use his own bo staff to easily counter and swat away his attacks, allowing him to gain the upper hand and overpower him. This proved that Slade was far more skilled and experienced with the weapon than Dick was.
- Knife mastery: Slade was deadly at using a knife in combat, preferring to hold it in a reverse grip and can switch hands to hold it even during a fight. This is seen during his fight with Donna Troy, where he severely wounded her and could have killed her if he hadn't chosen to spare her. He was even skilled a knife-throwing as seen during his third fight with Dick Grayson, where he threw his combat knife at him, though the latter managed to dodge it.
- Master marksman: Slade was an exceptional sniper as he was able to assassinate multiple people from afar, using one shot each time; he once shot a lawyer through the back of the head and exiting out his eye. He was also able to kill Garth with one shot. He headshot Arthur Light from a distance while the latter was in a truck. He even incorporates his marksmanship skills in hand to hand combat, best demonstrated against Dick Grayson and Kory Anders.
- Master tactician: Slade was a masterful planner. He created a plan to breakdown the Titans and take them out one by one, even setting a trap for Jason Todd in order to capture him. He used Jason's tracker to lead the Titans to the abandoned hideout with Arthur Light's body, in order to lure the Titans to where he held Jason, in exchange for Rose. He lured Dick to the church in order to get him away from Titans Tower so he could plant items and symbols in each of the Titans rooms to drive them apart. Slade was also an expert manipulator who is skilled at getting others to do his bidding. He was able to convince Rose to join his side and infiltrate the Titans and later able to turn the team against one another by manipulating their past trauma. Slade is skilled at hiding from authorities and removing all traces of his whereabouts as well as making sure he leaves no trace of evidence at his crime scenes. Prior to resuming his career as Deathstroke, Slade was living off the grid in a cabin in the woods with no electricity and minimal contact with the outside world, showing he can survive in such a setting.
- Master assassin: Slade was renowned as an extremely efficient contract killer who is able to quickly and easily pull off assignments others wouldn't be able to and do so without any trace of his crimes leading back to him or his employers.
- Stealth mastery: Slade was able to maneuver without making any sound, being able to kill a grown man without making the slightest sound to be detected. He snuck around Titans tower and took photos of the Titans, without ever being noticed and he is also skilled at making sure no trace of his whereabouts is left behind.
- Expert intimidator: When Jason Todd discovered Rose's identity as the daughter of Slade, he expressed fear, despite his confidence as a fighter. The original Titans were also easily intimidated by the return of Slade, despite having faced Trigon, an extremely powerful interdimensional demon. Arthur Light was frightened when Slade didn't laugh at his jokes while when Todd faced against Slade, he was easily frightened.
- Sign language: Slade was capable of understanding Jericho's sign language communications.
- Indomitable will: Slade has a strong force of will. He was able to resist Jerchio's possession of his mind and body. He also has a high pain tolerance as he was able to resist torture when captured by enemy forces.
- Deathstroke suit: Slade wore armor when operating as Deathstroke. It protected him from high impact blunt force trauma and even Starfire's thermal blasts. The suit appears to be bulletproof based on the bullet dents on the armor. However, the suit is vulnerable to electric shocks as seen when he was shocked by Nightwing's electrified escrima sticks. It also didn't impede his speed or agility and allowed him to carry numerous weapons and ammunition which he could draw easily.
- Sword: Slade wielded a sword that resembled a customized katana, which he could split apart to reveal two swords. He used it to stab a judge through the back and to threaten Jason Todd when he tried to escape. He used it during his fight with Dick Grayson, who used a metal pipe as a bo staff. He also used it against Donna Troy, wielding her lasso, though he was eventually disarmed of it. He used it during his third fight with Dick Grayson where he revealed his two swords in one function.
- Combat knife: Slade carried a combat knife on his left thigh. He uses it in close quarters combat, as seen during his fight with Donna Troy, managing to mortally wound her with it. He could even use it as a makeshift throwing knife, as seen in his third fight with Dick Grayson.
- Bo staff: Slade carried a retractable bo staff. One end had a retractable blade, allowing him to use it like a spear in close quarters combat or to throw it at his opponent. The other end had a hidden gun-like compartment, which he used during his first fight against Dick Grayson to keep him at a distance.
- WE Hi-CAPA 7" Dragon B: Slade used this handgun as his sidearm and had it holstered on his suit's thigh. He used to kill Arthur Light. He even used it in his fight with Dick Grayson and Kory Anders at close quarters. It also came equipped with a retractable blade housed next to the magazine well.
- Barrett M107: Slade used a heavy sniper rifle to assassinate a lawyer, two trial witnesses, and another member of the trial in Chicago.
- Mk 12 Special purpose rifle: Slade used this sniper rifle to shoot and kill Garth. He attempted to shoot Donna Troy, but his round was intercepted by Jillian.
- Unknown assault rifle: Slade used this assault rifle when ambushing the Titans, managing to wound Kory Anders. Though when Dick Grayson as Nightwing showed up, he was disarmed of it.
- Grenades: Slade used different types of grenades such as hand grenades and flashbang grenades as seen during his fight against Dick Grayson and Kory Anders.
- Slade was 5'10" and weighed 175 lbs.
Behind the scenes
- In the comics, Slade Joseph Wilson, aka Deathstroke, is usually an adversary of the Teen Titans, Batman, and Green Arrow, and was an American soldier as opposed to an Australian one. Slade has had three children in the comics; two sons and a daughter. His oldest son, Grant, was known as Ravager and his second son, Joseph, was the Teen Titan Jericho. His daughter, Rose, became the fifth Ravager some time after Grant's death.
- Tancharoen, Kevin (writer) & Pabst, Tom (director) (September 20, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 3. DC Universe.
- McCarthy, Kate (writer) & Fraser, Toa (director) (October 25, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 8. DC Universe.
- Pabst, Tom (writer) & Stovall, Larnell (director) (November 22, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 12. DC Universe.
- Gorenber, Jaime (writer) & Winter, Glen (director) (September 27, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 4. DC Universe.
- Goldsman, Akiva, Johns, Geoff, Walker, Greg (writers) & Banker, Carol (director) (September 6, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 1. DC Universe.
- Sams, Bianca (writer) & Gomez, Nick (director) (October 4, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 5. DC Universe.
- Hill, Bryan Edward (writer) & Goldsman, Akiva (director) (October 18, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 7. DC Universe.
- Thomas, Jeffrey David (writer) & Mojsovski, Boris (director) (November 1, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 9. DC Universe.
- Sams, Bianca (writer) & Shelton, Millicent (director) (November 15, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 11. DC Universe.
- Hatem, Richard, Walker, Greg (writers) & Banker, Carol (director) (November 29, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 13. DC Universe.
- Hatem, Richard (writer) & Hope, Nathan (director) (September 13, 2019). "". Titans. Season 2. Episode 2. DC Universe.