- "I help people that others have given up on. I go beyond what medical science is willing to do... because I believe in hope. Don't you?"
- —Niles Caulder to Rachel Roth[src]
Dr. Niles Caulder, also known as the Chief, is an experimental doctor and pioneer in medical science.
In 2016, Dr. Caulder cured Gar Logan of a rare disease in the Congo. By 2018, Caulder lived in a house in Covington, Ohio with the three, as well as Larry, where he performed scientific experiments in the hopes of bettering medicine. At some point, he'd lost the ability to walk, but soon learnt again.
Leaving to retrieve the dying body of Shyleen Lao, Caulder returned, surprised to find Rachel Roth in his house. Before anything, his adopted family assisted Caulder in stabilizing Shyleen, as she'd been in an accident and her body was freezing. Rachel intervened, helping to calm Shyleen down and allow an injection of Caulder's to work. Following this, Caulder scolded Gar for having brought Rachel into their secret circle, but reminded him that he cared for him. They all joined together for tea, where Dr. Caulder explained to Rachel who they were, that he'd helped all of his subjects to live again after various accidents. Hoping to help Rachel, she was put on to a medical table and strapped down. Deciding to back out of the experiment, Rachel pleaded to be let go, but Gar's attempts were stopped by Caulder. Rachel ultimately broke free, using darkness to pick up and throw around the doctor, breaking his back once more.
- "Who's the Chief?"
"Well, he's the greatest doctor in the world. Saved all of us."
- —Rachel Roth and Gar Logan[src]
- Expert scientist: Caulder possesses an incredible scientific knowledge, being able to save Cliff's brain after a horrific accident, transferring it into a robot body, as well as saving Gar Logan from an otherwise rare disease.He was able to understand and help Rita and Larry with their unique conditions, when no other doctor could.
- Medical knowledge: Caulder's knowledge of medicine allowed him to save Gar in a short span of time.
- Occult knowledge: To be added
|This section is a stub. You can help expand this section by Manual of Style.. Please be sure to edit in accordance to our|
- Enhanced longevity: Niles Caulder has been alive since at least 1913, with few substantial changes to his appearance. With no known metahuman powers, the reason for his incredible longevity remains a mystery.
- Paralysis: As a result of Rachel Roth's attack, Niles is paralyzed from the waist down.
- Restricted mobility: Due to his spinal injuries and subsequent paralysis, Caulder is restricted to wheelchair, which hampers his mobility.
- Diabetic: It is possible that Niles is a diabetic, which requires him to regulate his blood sugar levels.
- Wheelchair: Due to Caulder being paralyzed, he is forced to use a wheelchair in order to move.
- "Fallen" (mentioned)